This handmade Kevin & Hughes 1917 classic survey compass is a amazing device and tribute to a great engineer.
The solid brass antique look gun-metal casing opens to reveal a folding sight, spirit levels and measuring gauges, with a sighting mirror on the inside of the lid.
Working reproduction but accuracy cannot be guaranteed. Sold as a decorative product.
Approximate Dimensions: 7cm x 7m
D.W. Brunton was a mining engineer in Colorado, USA, when he took out the patent for his versatile new boxed altazimuth dry compass in 1894.
Within four years he was able to claim it was "in use in every country from Australia to Alaska". Ideal for surveying unexplored terrains, surveyors mapped out new lands and territories and chartered coastlines carrying their compact Brunton's compasses in leather cases slung over their shoulders. It was used as a plumb, a hand-level, clinometer, sighting compass, prismatic compass and for obtaining horizontal and vertical angles, for preliminary surface surveying, topography, geological field work and reconnaissance.
Approximate Dimensions (in cm): 7.5 x 7; Height - 3.5